Hilton Edwards (1903-1982) and Micheál Mac Liammóir (1899-1978) co-founded the Gate Theatre, Dublin in 1927. The company's first production, Peer Gynt, was presented at the Peacock Theatre on October 19th, 1928. Following the acquisition of the Gate Theatre building, the company produced over three hundred productions at its new home on Cavendish Row. During the 1930s, following the formation of Longford Productions, who shared the building, the company's name was changed to Edwards-Mac Liammóir Dublin Gate Theatre Productions. Following the demise of Longford Productions in the 1960s and the deaths of Mac Liammóir and Edwards in 1978 and 1982 respectively, the board of The Gate Theatre was re-configured, and since then the theatre, under the direction of Michael Colgan, trades as The Gate Theatre (listed separately).