An Damer, set up as an Irish language theatre under the auspices of Gael Linn in 1955, was located at The Damer Hall at 112 St Stephen’s Green Dublin. It played a central role in the social life of Irish speakers in the city for many years. It fostered a regular and loyal audience through the operation of its ‘Club Drámaíochta’. Because of its permanent location and regular performances, An Damer generated a raft of new playwriting in Irish. Authors such as Eoghan Ó Tuairisc, Brendan Behan and Mairéad Ní Ghráda premiered work there. Although fundamentally an amateur organisation professional directors such as Frank Dermody and Tomás Mac Anna were employed by An Damer. Many budding actors and directors of Irish theatre were trained there. Gael Linn withdrew from An Damer in 1976 and a fully professional company was established in 1978. This lasted three years before folding in 1981.